It seems as though my problem-free pregnancy has come to an end. Last week, I took the required one hour glucose test. It wasn't too bad -- I followed my doctor's advice and ate a few hours before I went to take it. The drink wasn't as terrible as I thought, just tasted like orange soda. And even though it made both me and Shortstop jumpy, the blood draw was fine (even though they had trouble finding a place to lay me down, I always ask to be horizontal since I have a tendency to pass out during those things!).
Then I had a string of bad things happen to me after that appointment -- work-related -- and I fell into a major state of hormonal sadness that I couldn't seem to get myself out of. On top of that, I found out I failed the glucose test when I called to get the results (my sugar doubled from 90 pre-test to 180 after test, failing is between 130-140). That sets me up for tomorrow -- a three hour fasting glucose test at the lab. I am extremely unhappy about it -- I can't go more than a few hours without eating anymore. And if I fail, it means I have gestational diabetes, so goodbye cookies and ice cream! But I'm just trying to do what they tell me and what SS needs from me right now.
My biggest worry about tomorrow is that the drink (double the concentration of glucose) will make me sick on an empty stomach, or that I will begin feeling my classic signs of hunger -- cold sweat, dizzy -- and not be able to do anything about it. I'm not worried about passing the time -- I've got plenty of magazines I haven't read since I got pregnant that I plan to bring with me. I just want to get it over with so I'm going to roll out of bed and get to the lab as they open at 7am. Luckily it is literally 10 minutes from my house and there is a McDonalds right next door that I plan to go straight to after the test.
Tonight Rick and I are going to enjoy some homemade pasta and bread -- I didn't get any instructions from my doc about the test but everything I've read says go on a high carb diet beforehand. Then we're going to watch the Bulls game and work on a Disney puzzle before bed. Hopefully this will be enough to distract me!!
No comments:
Post a Comment